Thomas F. Richardson
Thomas F. Richardson is a trial and appellate attorney with over 35 years of experience in diverse areas of the law, including business litigation, local government law, civil rights and employment law. He has substantial litigation experience on behalf of small businesses and individuals in state and federal courts. He has tried over 125 jury and bench trials. He has served as counsel to municipalities and municipal organizations throughout Georgia, interacting extensively with federal agencies including EEOC, EPA and HUD. He is a frequent speaker before state and professional associations on litigation issues. Additionally, he has significant mediation experience, having received certification through the Harvard Program on Negotiation, and is certified to conduct mediation settlement conferences in the Superior Courts of North Carolina.
Mr. Richardson has been a member of the State Bar of Georgia since 1975, and a member of the North Carolina State Bar since 2012. He is also a member of the Macon Bar Association and the American Bar Association. He is admitted to practice in the United States Supreme Court, the United States Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit, the United States District Courts of the Northern, Middle, and Southern Districts of Georgia, the Georgia Supreme Court, the Georgia Court of Appeals, and in the State and Superior Courts of Georgia.
Mr. Richardson earned a B.A. from the University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill (1971) and a J.D. from the University of Georgia School of Law (1975).
He is a past member of the Lawyers Advisory Committee to the Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit (2002-2008). He is also a member of the William Augustus Bootle Inn of Court and the American Board of Trial Advocates.
In 2011, Mr. Richardson was presented the H. Sol Clark Pro Bono Award by the State Bar of Georgia for his efforts in assuring the availability of legal services to those unable to afford it.
In 2005, 2006 & 2012, he was named a Georgia Super Lawyer by the publishers of Law & Politics and Atlanta Magazine. The Macon Bar Association named him Lawyer of the Year in 2004.
Apart from his professional activities and honors, Mr. Richardson devotes quite a bit of time to the Macon community as well. He is an attorney coach for the Central High School Mock Trial Team (1996-present). He served as President of the Board of Directors of the Museum of Arts and Sciences (1994-1995) and as President of the Board of Directors of the Booker T. Washington Community Center (1992-1993).
Areas of Practice
- Local Government Law
- Employment Litigation – Workplace Issues
- Business Litigation
- Georgia, 1975
- North Carolina, 2013
- U.S. District Court Northern District of Georgia, 1975
- U.S. District Court Middle District of Georgia, 1975
- U.S. District Court Southern District of Georgia, 1975
- U.S. Court of Appeals 11th Circuit, 1981
- U.S. Supreme Court, 1983
- University of Georgia School of Law, Athens, Georgia
- J.D. – 1975
- University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, North Carolina – 1971
- West vs. Mache of Cochran, Inc., 187 Ga. App. 365 (Ga Court of Appeals)
- Heggs vs. Grant, 73 F 3d 317 (11th Circuit 1996)
- Rome vs. Coffey, 270 Ga. 715 (Ga Supreme Court 1999)
- Mahaffey vs. First National Bank of Barnesville, 157 Ga. App. 844 (Ga Court of Appeals 1981)
- Continental Casualty Co. vs. Synalloy Corporation, 826 F2d 1024 (11th Circuit)
- Rischack vs. City of Perry, 223 Ga. App. 856 (Ga Court of Appeals 1996)
- Twiggs County vs. Atlanta Gas Light, 262 Ga. 276 (Ga Supreme Court 1992)
- Griffin vs. City of Milledgeville, 279 Ga. 835 (11th Circuit 2005)
- Roberts vs. Spielman, 643 F3d 899 (11th Circuit 2011)
- Ivey vs. First Quality Retail Service, 490 Fed App 281 (11th Circuit 2012)
- Gallagher Bassett Services
- Trident Insurance Services
- Magistrates Retirement Fund of Georgia
- Attorney Coach, GA State HS Mock Trial, 1996 – 2013
Honors and Awards
- Georgia Super Lawyer, 2005, 2006 & 2012
- 2004 Macon Bar Association – Lawyer of the Year
Professional Associations and Memberships
- American Bar Association, 1975 – Present
- State Bar of Georgia, 1975 – Present
- State Bar of North Carolina, 2012 – Present
Pro Bono Activities
- State Bar of Georgia’s Sol Clark Pro Bono Award for Pro Bono Work, 2011