Mary Mendel Katz
Mary Katz concentrates her practice on defending governmental entities and law enforcement officials in civil rights, discrimination, employment, and prisoner claims. She also has extensive experience in trying high-exposure liability matters including premises, trucking, automobile, construction, and product liability claims.
A member of the State Bar of Georgia since 1979, she is a member and past President of the Macon Bar Association, a member of the American Bar Association, a member of the Federal Bar Association, and has served as Chairman of the Civil Justice Reform Act Committee and as a member of the State Bar’s Commission on Continuing Lawyer Competency. Ms. Katz also belongs to the Georgia Defense Lawyers Association, the Defense Research Institute, and is a member of the Mercer University School of Law Board of Visitors and the Georgia Legal Services Foundation Board of Trustees.
She is admitted to practice before the United States Supreme Court, the United States Court of Appeals for the Eleventh and Fifth Circuits, the United States District Courts for the Northern and Middle Districts of Georgia, the Georgia Supreme Court, the Georgia Court of Appeals, and in the superior courts of Georgia.
Ms. Katz received an A.B. from the University of Georgia (with honors, 1970) and a J.D. from Mercer University, Walter F. George School of Law (magna cum laude, 1979), where she was the Managing Editor of the Mercer Law Review and a member of the Brainerd F. Currie Honor Society and previously presided as President of the Mercer Law School Alumni Association (1986).
Areas of Practice
- Governmental Liability – Defense
- General Civil Litigation – Defense
- Georgia, 1979
- U.S. District Court Northern District of Georgia, 1979
- U.S. District Court Middle District of Georgia, 1979
- U.S. Court of Appeals 11th Circuit, 1981
- U.S. Court of Appeals 5th Circuit, 1979
- U.S. Supreme Court, 1983
- Mercer University, Walter F. George School of Law, Macon, Georgia
- J.D. magna cum laude
- Law Review: Mercer Law Review , Managing Editor, 1977 – 1979
- University of Georgia, Athens, Georgia
- B.A. cum laude
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Defense Research Institute
- Georgia Defense Lawyers Association
- Macon Bar Association, Past President
- Macon Bar Association, Member
- American Bar Association , Member