Emmitte H. Griggs
Emmitte Griggs’ primary area of practice includes representation of physicians, hospitals, and long-term care facilities in professional negligence cases. His extensive trial experience in both state and federal courts further extends to the areas of general liability and insurance defense.
Mr. Griggs has been a member of the State Bar of Georgia since 1982. He is also a member of the Macon Bar Association and the American Bar Association. He is admitted to practice in the United States Supreme Court, the United States Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit, the United States District Courts for the Northern and Middle Districts of Georgia, the Georgia Supreme Court, the Georgia Court of Appeals, and in the State and Superior Courts of Georgia.
Mr. Griggs earned a B.A. in Chemistry from Vanderbilt University (magna cum laude, 1978) and a J.D. from Mercer University, Walter F. George School of Law (cum laude, 1982), where he was the Associate Editor of the Mercer Law Review and a member of Phi Delta Phi, Phi Kappa Phi, and the Brainerd Currie Honor Society.
In 2010 and 2011, he was named a Georgia Super Lawyer by the publishers of Law & Politics and Atlanta Magazine.
Mr. Griggs is a former member of the Board of Directors of the Georgia Defense Lawyers Association (1998-2001) and had the honor of the organization publishing his article “Rule 11 of the Federal Rules of Civil Procedure – The Need for an Effective State Counterpart” in its 1986 Law Journal. Mr. Griggs also participates in the Defense Research Institute.
Areas of Practice
- Professional Negligence
- Insurance Defense Law
- General liability
- Georgia, 1982
- U.S. Federal Courts, 1982
- U.S. Supreme Court, 1989
- U.S. Court of Appeals 11th Circuit
- U.S. District Court Middle District of Georgia
- Supreme Court of Georgia
- Georgia Court of Appeals
- Superior Courts of the State of Georgia
- Mercer University, Walter F. George School of Law, Macon, Georgia
- J.D., Doctor of Jurisprudence cum laude – 1982
- Honors: Brainerd Currie Honor Society
- Law Review: Mercer Law Review , Associate Editor
- Vanderbilt University, Nashville, Tennessee
- B.A., Bachelor of Arts magna cum laude – 1978
- “Rule 11 of the Federal Rules of Civil Procedure – The Need for an Effective
- State Counterpart” , Defense Research Institute, 1986
Honors and Awards
- Georgia Super Lawyer by the publishers of Law & Politics and Atlanta Magazine, 2010 – 2011
Professional Associations and Memberships
- American Bar Association, Member
- State Bar of Georgia, Member
- Georgia Defense Lawyers Association, Member
- Defense Research Institute, Member
- Macon Bar Association
- Phi Delta Phi
- Phi Kappa Phi